Star Ruby is never completely transparent because the star can only be produced by the presence of needle-like inclusions that cause some degree of turbidity. Star rubies are very valuable. The finest star ruby known weighs 138 carats; this is the famous Rosier Reeves star ruby, on display at the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C. The most striking phenomenon of rubies is the development of the six-ray star, arranged in perfect symmetry, which shifts its centre, as the stone is moved. It is clearly visible under a single light source such as the sun or a lamp; much less so in diffuse light. If two or more powerful light sources are set close together, as many stars can be seen in the stone. Each light produces its own star, which is basically a reflection. The effect is usually less pronounced in more transparent stones. When the ground colour is ruby red it is known as Star Ruby. Benefits: Used to pep up the internal strength and to ward off tensions, Star Ruby drives away stress-related problems like Migraine, Insomnia, and Hysteria etc. Traditionally worn by knights in the battlefields to protect themselves from the enemy. Local tales in Karnataka say that if this is worn as a visible pendant or as a headgear then anyone who faces you, as an enemy looses half his valour to your. It is said that Karna, the son of Sun wore it in his headgear and only after Krishna directed Arjuna to remove the Headgear with his arrow was be able to fight an equal battle with him.
Star Ruby PricesStar ruby is a rare variety of ruby gemstone which is available in a very limited amount. Therefore, the probability of finding a fine quality natural, deep red Star ruby is even lower. The gem traders decide the price of each Star ruby gem individually after assessing the color, strength of star effect, clarity, cut and carat weight.
- Origin – On the basis of origin, Burmese or Burma Star ruby price remains highest due to its brilliant red hue and distinctly visible star effect. Star ruby from Sri Lanka and India are the other important varieties that fetch a good amount after Burmese gems.
- Color – A deep red color Star ruby is considered most desirable and hence holds a good market value. Surprisingly, certain Star ruby gems with violet or blue overtones also gain good price due to its popularity of these off-shades in jewelry segment. The prices for other color varieties such as purple star ruby, black star ruby, pink star ruby and blue star ruby depend majorly on its quality, and demand & supply cycle.
- Quality of Star effect – A centrally placed, bright, consistent star effect displaying six rays of light is highly desirable. Therefore, a star ruby with bright and distinctly visible star effects always commands a higher value.
- Carat Weight - A fine quality Star ruby is more likely to be smaller in size. This is because color quality and star effect usually get hampered with the increase in size. Therefore, Star ruby stones in bigger sizes are rarely available hence they are mostly expensive.
- Cut – Star ruby stones are densely packed with microscopic rutile inclusions which make them appear translucent to opaque. Opaque gems are mostly cut in cabochon (non-faceted, polished gemstone) to obtain a perfect star effect on the smooth and polished upper surface. As per the gem cutters, a well-shaped dome exhibits a bright and clear star effect and therefore demands a good market value.
- Clarity – Star ruby with fine silky luster is well appreciated. But sometimes, the presence of smoke-like, bluish white gaseous bubbles disturb the shine and thereby creates a deduction in the Star ruby value.